» 2012 Alberta Summer Games
The 2012 Alberta Summer Games are coming to Lethbridge, July 26-29, 2012!
The 2012 Alberta Summer Games is a celebration of the achievements of Alberta’s youth in sport and culture. More than 3000 athletes, coaches, officials will participate in the Games, competing in 15 different sports all based out of the City of Lethbridge. We will need 3000 volunteers to make the games a successful event!
Sports Played in an Alberta Summer Games
Athletics – Athletics encompasses many sport events that can be divided into involve running, jumping, and throwing. What is the difference between Athletics and Track and Field? Track and Field is an American term, whereas Athletics is the international term and includes all Track and Field events. The sport governing body for track and field in Canada, which is now called Athletics Canada, was established in 1884. It is one of the oldest affliated bodies with the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), Great Britian is the only governing body that has been in existence for a longer period of time. The Athletics events that are included in the Alberta Summer Games are:Running: 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m, 800m, 1200m, 1500m, 2000m, 3000,80m
- Hurdles, 100m Hurdles (women), 110m hurdles (men), 200m Hurdles
- 4×100m Relay and Medley Relay
- There are also the Pentathlon which includes 5 events (100m, High Jump, Shot Put, Long Jump, 800/1000), Heptathon for women which includes 7 events (100m Hurdles, Long Jump, Shot Put, 200m, Long Jump, Javelin, 800m) and the Octathlon for men which includes 8 events (100m, Long Jump, Shot Put, 400m, 110m Hurdles, High Jump, Javelin, 1000m)
- Jumping: Long Jump, High Jump, Triple Jump, and Pole Vault
- Field: Shot Put, Discus, Javelin, and Hammerthrow
How can we help you today?
Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 11:30 AM - Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 4:30 PM